(In this article Trish shows you how to start and grow your business so much easier! For other important business tips to help you start smart, check out this series on how to start your business right!)
Starting and running a business can present many challenges, but can also come with huge rewards! I have started and grown several businesses of my own over the last 18 years, and have helped many others build their dream business. I have learned many things along the way. In this article I will share with you five things you can do to make the process of starting, running, and growing a business easier and more efficient!
Here is how to start and grow your business easier and give you the best chance for success:
1) Hire right, especially early on. You can’t afford to waste a lot of time and money hiring the wrong people! Spend the time to make sure you hire the right people from the start, and make sure you have them sitting in the right seats.
2) Be mindful of your time. Once spent, time is gone forever! You can spend a lot of time wasting time. Regularly evaluate how you’re spending your time, and make sure you are spending it on the right things.
3) Ask for help when you need it! People are always willing to help, but they can’t read your mind. It’s on you to identify when you need help! Ask for assistance if you need help in a certain area, have too much on your plate, need a second opinion, or even need an introduction to someone.
4) Make your own opportunities. I’m personally not a believer in sitting back and just waiting for things to happen. You can definitely create your own opportunities! Sometimes it is hard to get the right doors open, and you may not find your champion right away, but be persistent and never give up!
5) Be you! Mainly, because it’s too exhausting to be anyone else! Being authentic, and bringing that into your business, will differentiate you far above the rest!
Bonus Lawyer Tip: Get it in writing! Make sure your contracts are solid. This will help ensure you’re protecting your most valuable assets – your intellectual property, confidential information and your business – what it is you’re working so hard for!
Starting and running a business is not easy. You can expect challenges, roadblocks, and many long days (and possibly nights), but the upside can be huge – unlimited potential, the ability to create your own path, and really make a difference!
I hope you find these tips on how to start and grow your business helpful! If you have any questions please reach out! We are always here to help!
Tricia Meyer is Founder + Managing Attorney of Meyer Law, one of the fastest growing law firms in the United States. Meyer helps entrepreneurs and technology companies from startups to large corporations with day-to-day matters and notable clients include companies that have appeared on Shark Tank to companies gracing the Inc. 500 to some of the largest companies in the world.
Tricia has been named on the Forbes Next 1000 list, is one of the Most Influential Female Lawyers in Chicago according to Crain’s Chicago Business and been recognized as a top 10 technology lawyer.
As an entrepreneur and a lawyer, Meyer has a unique perspective and has mentored thousands of startups and scaling companies at tech incubators and accelerators across the United States such as 1871, WeWork Labs and Techstars. Tricia has been featured in Inc., Crain’s, Chicago Tribune, NBC Chicago, American Express OPEN Forum, and more. Learn more at www.MeetMeyerLaw.com and follow Meyer Law’s story on Instagram @loveyourlawyer.